Our Lady of the Assumption Cathedral was officially inaugurated November 21, 1940 in the presence of Cardinal Villeneuve, Primate of the Canadian Catholic Church and Archbishop of Québec. The building is one of the most majestic in the city, by its architecture and decorative appeal. It holds rich works of art that recall the life and the Faith of the Acadian people. Four white marble statues and two mural mosaics are the works of Acadian artist, Claude Roussel. The stained glass windows in the transept of the Cathedral evoke the religious and civic history of the Acadian people.
Archbishop Melanson himself designated the new temple as the Monument of Acadian Recognition in homage to the Blessed Virgin, Patron of Acadia.